Friday, February 4, 2011

35/365 Still the Clear Favorite

Over the past few months, Grace has been "bonding" with some of her toy friends. We often joke that we are no longer just a new family of three, but rather a family of 7 or 8 when you include all of her must-have tagalongs. Certain pals work better for certain situations, but as was evidenced tonight, her very first favorite friend - Mr. 8 Legs the Octopus - is still very clearly her ultimate friend of choice. She was having a rough evening starting around 5:30 when she decided she was ready for bed and I was trying to keep her up for another hour or so before starting our bedtime routine. Nothing was working - singing, dancing, the jumperoo, Sophie her teething giraffe, her laptop...nothing. I even offered up my cell phone, which is normally a big no-no. At about 6, I gave in and laid her down on her ocean playmat while I got her bedtime diaper and bottle ready, knowing she would only have to cry for a minute or two while I got prepared. I quickly went to her bedroom, paused and stood there shocked by what I was hearing in the living room- cooing and baby talk. Umm, what?! What?! Where is this happy baby coming from all of a sudden? A quick few steps back to the living room and it was evident what was making her happy- her very first, most favorite pal Mr. 8 Legs. I stood to the side and watched (and took a few photos, of course) for a good 15 minutes in total delight as my baby girl was calmed and comforted by her buddy.

I wish you could hear the cooing and talking that was going on while this picture was being taken:


Big smiles for our favorite friend:



And here is a "throwback" picture of Grace and her oldest pal when she was just 11 weeks old. Just because it's cute:


I find it a little humorous, yet charming as well, that I owe the night's peace and sanity to a stuffed blue octopus with rattles and chew toys connected to his tentacles. It seems that their little one-sided conversation they had together was exactly what the babe needed. I changed her, fed her, and put her down in her crib. She has since fallen asleep - and without a single fuss, whine, or cry while doing so.

Thank you, Mr. 8 Legs, Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment